GENESIS - Vikki SOTA’s Origin Story


It’s a great time to be a hip-hop buff, and those who keep up with the genre’s incendiary underground have plenty of reasons to be excited about the new EP from Vikki Sota, Genesis, set to drop soon. Though I was not listening to Sota ahead of a couple of months ago, there’s been so much interest in the trending “Run up my Bands” that I had a feeling his name was going to come into a more mainstream conversation soon. He’s got the ability to back up the buzz with his talent, and anyone listening to his work will agree with me. 



@VikkiSota 


I love the thrilling use of contrast Sota has employed in his first two singles, and I think that as long as he sticks with a juxtaposition-style aesthetic on the lyrical front, he’s going to be hard to replicate. There aren’t a lot of rappers who can establish a narrative the way he does in “Run up my Bands” and “Swimming,” and although it’s more experimental than what a lot of listeners are used to (at least those committed to strictly pop styles), it could be just different enough to change the game for this player. Genesis stands to encapsulate multiple sides of Vikki Sota’s personality, and I don’t know why he wouldn’t take the opportunity to really flesh out his skillset for everyone to enjoy. 

It’s obvious to me that there’s a lot he isn’t doing with his sound right now, but the hesitance is wholly justified when you take into account how bold one has to be to go out on a limb with a songwriting style. He’s got the right idea with “Swimming” in particular in terms of unique perspectives on a hook, and this new EP is a chance to go even deeper. Contrast is admittedly king in Sota’s stylistic playbook right now, but there’s not a doubt in my mind that he’s getting a little more diverse with his technique, especially when I look at the music video for “Run up my Bands.” This isn’t the look of a man who isn’t sure of where he’s going - he’s got the roadmap to stardom in his hands, and now it’s just a matter of figuring out which artistic route he wants to take. Evolving takes time, but the cosmetics here show he’s already ahead of the curve. 


I’m very intrigued by what I’ve heard so far from Vikki Sota, and I think that while he’s got a lot of other, equally talented rappers that he needs to be mindful of, he’s got so much of a good thing going for him with the interest in his upcoming EP that paying attention to the rivals is really just a waste of time. He’s busy developing something that is his and his alone in more ways than one, and with the arrival of the Genesis EP, Sota is likely going to become all the harder to avoid for listeners who keep a close watch over the indie rap press. 

 Keri LaMunyon, posted by Joshua Beach

Comments

Popular Posts